It’s really important to keep your Australian business number (ABN) details up to date but it’s also something that is easy to forget while you are focused on all of the other aspects of running your business every day.
Some important reasons to ensure you keep your details up to date:
- the right people have the right permissions to act on behalf of a business
- government agencies need to have current information in case emergency services need to contact businesses during natural disasters
- you are ready for new government services when they become available
- if details are out of date you may miss important assistance, updates or access to grants
- other businesses and government agencies use ABN details to identify whether a business is genuine
- It’s also your responsibility to maintain your Australian business number (ABN) details. The ATO says you must update your details within 28 days of becoming aware of changes. If you have not done this, it’s important to do it as soon as possible.
These are the details you want to check and ensure are kept up to date:
- physical location
- postal address
- phone number
- If you’re no longer in business, cancel your ABN. You can do this online and it’s effective immediately.
How to update your ABN details
The fastest way to update your details is through ABR online services. Log in using myGovID and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM).
All changes made to your ABN online will take effect immediately.