Keep safe online during tax time with these helpful tips:
- Use multi-factor authentication where possible and don’t share your password with anyone. Using SMS codes as your sign-in option for myGov is a quick and secure way to sign-in to access online services.
- Regularly review staff accesses and immediately cancel AUSkey access for anyone who shouldn’t have one.
- Keep your devices up-to-date by installing the latest security updates, run regular anti-virus scans and use a spam filter on your email accounts.
- Monitor your accounts for unusual activity or transactions and immediately contact your bank or other organisation as soon as you notice anything unusual or incorrect.
- Exercise caution when downloading attachments or clicking links in emails, text messages or social media posts, even if they appear to come from someone you know.
- If you are ever unsure whether an ATO interaction is genuine, don’t reply. Call the ATO on 1800 008 540 or visit www.ato.gov.au/scams to verify.
- For more information about how to stay safe online, click here to visit the ATOs tips on staying safe during tax time.